Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I Don't Believe In Valentine's Day

It's Valentine's Day again. People getting flowers and chocolates. People getting depressed because they're not getting flowers and chocolates. I don't get the hype. I don't believe in Valentine's Day.

I'm not religious, so I'm certainly not celebrating it as an actual saints day.

And I don't find it at all romantic to be given a card/bunch of flowers/box of chocolates/whatever on one particular day, because the gift giver has been told giving presents etc. on this particular day is romantic.

I'd much rather someone give me a nice cup of coffee, or a book they know I've been wanting to read, on some random day, just because they were thinking about me, and decided to get me something nice. That's romance.

4 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

What I call unbirthday presents are far and away the best. And pee on the Hallmark holidays like Valentines Day.

River said...

You're absolutely right. I remember the one and only time I got a rose for Valentine's Day and it was plastic....
I had fun at work today though, with all the men buying flowers and chocolates, every now and then I'd exclaim, "Oh you bought me flowers! (or chocolates) Thank you!" Every body would laugh and one really old gentleman said "I bet you say that to all the boys".

Anonymous said...

I'm a single successful woman (41) dating a 45 year old successful man - and I think - why not be pampered. I am his girlfriend and lover - so wouldn't that count for something on a day for Lovers like Valentine's Day?

And then the day progresses with no calls, no cards, no flowers and no kind gestures - and then I think, wow, I guess i don't matter that much to him at all. So while some may not think this day matters, tell that to the stupid tears I have rolling down my cheek.

no-one said...

It's probably not that you don't matter to him, but that Valentine's Day doesn't matter to him, and he was unaware how you feel about the day.
I often think things like this need to be discussed right at the start of a relationship to avoid hurt feeling and unfulfilled expectations.