Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I Want...

...an Ice Cream Maker (and also masses of other things, but this thing in particular is within my financial grasp.) I've thought about it on and off, mostly when realising that by the time I get my store bought ice cream home on the bus it will be all melty, and it always goes kinda weird when it's re-frozen.

Then I thought about it even more when I heard a mention of butter-pecan ice cream, thought it sounded really nice, and couldn't actually find it here in Australia. I looked up the recipe and it seemed fairly easy to make. That, of course, got me thinking about all the other flavours I could experiment with. And I'd definitely use it, at least until March, now that we're coming into summer.

Does anyone out there already own an ice-cream maker? I'm looking for suggestions of what's a good brand to buy. Decently priced, easy to use, not prone to break-downs and whatnot.
And if you have any interesting and innovative flavours you'd like to share, do so in the comments. As long as they don't involve pineapple, passionfruit or coconut, all of which I hate with the fiery passion of a thousand burning nuns.

6 comments:

Toni said...

I don't have an icecream maker but I'm thinking, after reading this, that I might just buy one.
Fabio and I both LOVE rum and raisin icecream but you just can't buy it any more.
And I reckon with some faffing around I could make a mojito sorbet that would be delicious AND alcoholic, so WIN-WIN.
Yep, decision made, icecream maker is on the shopping list.

Jayne said...

You're tempting me, also, although I've failed to locate my fiery passion of a thousand burning nuns (may have misplaced that doohickey...) :p

no-one said...

Toni, I think home-making the flavours is going to turn out to be so much fun.
Jayne, if only my fiery passion were for something I loved, not something I hated.

River said...

Let me tell you what *I* want....oh wait, you already know.

Might I suggest googling icecream makers and reading what others have written about the brands, whether it's good or bad, easy to use and clean etc.
I did this when I chose my I=pod dock and I couldn't be happier with my choice.
Another suggestion is buy from a department store like DJ's not Cheap'as'Chips. Any machine you buy should have a recipe book included that will have flavour suggestions.
And invite me over for icecream.

no-one said...

Yeah, I never know if I can trust reviews, because if I was selling a product I would totally have shills talking it up all over the internet.

I'll probably buy from Myer or something.

Kath Lockett said...

We *did* have an ice-cream maker but gave up after one summer. The donut 'ring' thing needs to be frozen and takes up a lot of space if you only have a fridge freezer and the batches we'd make would be around 1 litre and rapidly disappear....