Monday, November 7, 2011

TV Tips

We all know I watch a lot of TV. A lot.
And because I'm a total spoiler-whore I spend a fair amount of time hanging around internet forums so I know what to expect from my shows.

Lately I notice more and more people seem to be coming to these forums for no other reason than to bitch about the show. How they hate it now, how all of the characters are horrible, how the writing isn't as good as it was in the early seasons/episodes. Complaining that the characters they ship* aren't hooking up, because both characters are involved with someone else, etc.

Here's how to deal with this:

1: Understand that the show is not being written specifically for your enjoyment. There are millions of other people watching, and while the show also isn't being written specifically for them, they may be enjoying what happens. And of course the writers are also, at least somewhat, writing to please themselves. I watch Vampire Diaries. I would love to see Caroline and Katherine become best friends and go off on some awesome vampire road trip. I'd also happily see Stefan fall into an active volcano. I know these things are not likely to happen, because it's not all about me.

2: Understand that the couple you ship may not be the couple the show ships. Or other viewers. I will admit here I don't understand the Pete & Myka shippers over on some of the Warehouse 13 forums. Everyone involved with the show has spent the last three seasons telling us they have a brother-sister relationship, so I find the idea of them together kinda gross, but I respect that other viewers have a right to want that, even if it squicks me entirely. Personally, I ship Myka & HG, and I know there are plently of people who don't like the idea of them together. I watch Criminal Minds. I know a lot of viewers want to see Hotch and Prentiss hook up. I don't. They are my anti-ship. I would happily see either of them with any of the other characters, but not together. However, I don't go online and bash all the H&P shippers. If you really want two characters together, go read some fanfic specific to your ship, but know that it may not happen on the show, because it's not all about you.

3. This is the most important tip: If you are not enjoying the show anymore, if you hate all the characters, and find yourself incandescent with rage by the end of the episodes, STOP WATCHING!
Find a new show, buy the seasons that you did enjoy and watch those, write some fanfic or start a Tumblr made up of stuff from when you did like it, but don't waste an hour of your time with something you hate and then even more time bitching about it later. Just stop.

TV is supposed to be an escape. A way to relax, and disconnect. Like in so many situations, if you're not enjoying it, you need to stop, and find something that pleases you more.  

*for anyone unfamiliar with term: 'ship' is short for relationship. You want to see two characters together? You ship them. You're a shipper.
And while most contractions have an apostrophe to demonstrate that it is a shortened form of something, in my experience ship usually doesn't.

9 comments:

Toni said...

While I don't know those shows I totally agree with your tips!!
People get so damn WEIRD abut stuff -- I mean, it's necessary for viewers to buy into the characters in order to sell the show, but people, really, chill!
One of my favourite shows is Dexter. I also love the books. The books came first but are completely different from the tv show -- which ties some fans in knots.
Me, I just made a rule in my head that said, 'they're allowed to be that way.'
And now, I get to love both.

River said...

"squicks"
what a wonderful word!!

you changed your slogan....

Windsmoke. said...

If a show dosen't jell with my bizarre mind i do tip three and stop watching and move on to something else. Recorded the first episode of Haven last night and if it jells with my bizarre mind i'll keep watching :-).

Pearl said...

I needed that "ship" definition. :-)

Pearl

Jayne said...

I've noticed that a lot lately on the IMDB message boards, people whinging about the actors and characters for no good reason.
And it doesn't add to any discussion, it's merely destructive and childish venting.
Yes, tip 3 is spot on.
Maybe cos it's commonsense that too many don't do just that lol.

Kath Lockett said...

Ahhh, so that's what 'ship' means! And I agree - if you don't like it, stop watching - there are plenty more fish in the sea/shows to watch....

no-one said...

I love Dexter. And it's done well enough that the differences from the book don't bug me.

The slogan change came about while we were discussing Dr. Seuss at work, and I said how I loved that quote, and I think it's apt for a blog since I should be able to say whatever I feel here.

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

I have learned something new tonight. I had no idea about the verb 'to ship'. Thank God for the internet. And I'm totally with you - if you don't like what you're watching, look away. Simple as that!

J said...

Thanks about that 'ship term. Now I know. And I am such an addict too and so agree that as long as it entertains you, then go for it.