Sunday, January 22, 2012

I'm not...but...

Ever notice how often people will say "I'm not (whatever)" and follow that right up with "but (whatever)", pretty well proving they are what they say they're not.

"I'm not racist, but I don't trust Asian people." Guess what, you're racist. Not trusting an entire race makes you racist. And I don't want to hear what you're planning on saying after that opening sentence.

"I'm not homophobic, but I don't want me and my family to be around gay people. They'll probably try to convert us." You're homophobic. And I don't want to hear the rest of what you're about to say.

"I'm not trying to offend you, but you'd look so much prettier if you put on some makeup." You don't start a sentence with "I'm not trying to offend you", unless you know you're about to say something potentially offensive. Don't say it.

I don't know what kind of person you think I am, and I don't know how you got the impression that it's okay to say that stuff to me. Don't. I don't want to hear it.

4 comments:

Kath Lockett said...

Agree. And my biggest hate is 'Don't take it personally' after they've done something truly awful to you as a person.

Windsmoke. said...

The biggest one i hate is when someone says "Its Nothing Personal" when it clearly is for some reason or another :-).

no-one said...

Kath, Windsmoke, I hate the 'don't it personally' thing as well. Some people think as long as they say that, it gives them license to do or say anything.

River said...

Ooops, I said don't take it personally to someone just a couple of weeks ago. Someone at work was going on holiday and I said I wouldn't miss her one bit. She said that wasn't nice of me, so I said Don't take it personally, I never miss anyone when they're away.