Thursday, January 26, 2012

It's Award Season...

...and once again I wasn't nominated for a Golden Globe or an Oscar. I've been snubbed, y'all.

As is the case every year, when some people don't get nominated, magazines and websites everywhere start putting up slightly hysterical sounding articles outlining all the people who were 'snubbed' by whomever is choosing the nominees.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that when you snubbed someone, you deliberately excluded them with the express purpose of hurting their feelings, and then engaged in all kinds off passive-aggressive behaviours to convey the fact that they have been snubbed and they should feel bad about that.

I suppose it's possible that the people choosing the nominees are doing just that. That they each have someone they particularly hate, and now that they've successfully blocked the nomination, they are following that actor around Hollywood, laughing at them about how they could have been nominated, but they weren't, because they're not liked. I don't know exactly what goes on over there.

It just seems to me that it's far more likely, that when you only have six available spaces, and hundreds of actors submitting 'for your consideration' tapes of their work, some people are going to have to be left off the list. (Meanwhile can you imagine how hellish the Awards shows would be if everyone who submitted a tape got nominated. They're bad enough now with the six person limit.)

I wish that unless the media had actual evidence of someone not being nominated solely to hurt their feelings and make them feel left out, they'd stop saying people were snubbed. It's ridiculous.

4 comments:

River said...

This is something I've never thought about. Hollywood is a world unto itself, so what goes on there doesn't bother me as long as they continue to make movies that I want to watch.

Windsmoke. said...

Sometimes i think to myself are awards rigged or what :-).

Kath Lockett said...

Ah yes, the gossip magazine/entertainment 'snub'.

Failing that, there's the quick paparazzi shot of some starlet standing in a carpark, on her own, briefly wondering 'Now where the hell did I leave my publicist's Prius?'

This tiny frown of concentration is then splashed on the covers with 'PREGNANT AND ALONE - JENNIFER CALLS TO BRAD FOR HELP'

no-one said...

Those bloody tabloids and their made up stories. I'd be embarrassed to call myself a journalist if I was writing stuff like that.